Posted in 2B Groomed Studios, Acorn Dental, Alphabet Academy, Arts & Culture, Atlantic City, Aversa PR & Events, Baltimore, Brat Productions, Bucket List, Bucks County, Business Improvement District, Buster Brown, Pets & Pit Bulls, Charm City Movement Arts, Circus Arts, City Year Greater Philadelphia, Civic Engagement, Cupcakes, Diner En Blanc Philadelphia, East Passyunk Avenue, Events, Fly School Circus Arts, Food & Drink, Fundraising , Hair & Shaving, Headhunters Hair Design, Homeless Pets, LGBT, Media Clips, Ms Goody Cupcake, Nonprofit, Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts, Philadelphia International Flower Show, Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/ Philly Fringe, Philadelphia School of Circus Arts, Philly Loves Fun, Please Touch Museum/ Memorial Hall, PRSA Philadelphia Chapter, Public Relations, Random Fun, Salon and Hair, Senior & Aging Programs, Shopping, Social Media, Sports, Tashan Restaurant , Tiffin, Tourism, Travel, Volunteer Opportunities | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
| | | | | | |
Hot on the heels of last week’s record-breaking Craft Beer Day and La Festa, East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District (EPABID) triples the fun this coming weekend with Second Saturday, Antique and Vintage Flea Market and South Philly Fest. Festivities also include the grand opening block party for Aversa PR and Frontstretch.com.
The fun starts early Saturday morning with the Antique and Vintage Flea Market that returns with 60+ vendors selling antiques, collectibles, vintage furniture, jewelry, clothing and accessories. After shopping, enjoy sales, free make-overs, pop-up shop, art openings, receptions, tastings and sales at more than a dozen merchants and businesses.The festivities even include a ‘baby shower’ for East Passyunk’s precious new arrival, Cloth at 1605 East Passyunk Avenue.The fun continues into the night with circus performances, DJ, food and drink at grand opening of Aversa PR at 12th and East Passyunk.
On Sunday, there’s no rest with the return of South Philly Fest by Lucky 13 and Sweet Jane Vintage, featuring a free outdoor concert with seven live bands, great shopping, food and drink specials. Complete details for all events are listed below. For more information, visit www.visiteastpassyunk.com, follow @epassyunkave or call (215) 336-1455.
ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE FLEA MARKET
Saturday, June 8, 2013
The Antique and Vintage Flea Market will return to the 1600 block parking lot between Tasker and Morris from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. More than 60 vendors will feature antiques, collectibles, vintage furniture, jewelry, clothing and accessories, glassware, pottery and much more. Held in and around the municipal lot on the 1600 Block of East Passyunk Avenue between Morris & Tasker. The GPS address is 1630 East Passyunk Avenue. The event is organized by Philadelphia Flea Markets. Admission is free. Family-friendly shopping for all ages. The rain date is Sunday, June 9, 2013.
Shop and stroll your way into summer as EPABID hosts June's Second Saturday. See individual listings for times, costs and details.
* 1600 Below Vintage (1600 EPA) - Complimentary Prosecco, 20% off everything vintage, and artwork by Laura Finestone. Upstairs Reliable Floor Covering will be offering 10% off all in stock area rugs.
* Aversa PR & Events (1141 Pierce Street, at 12th and East Passyunk) -- Come meet the folks behind EPA's social media! Grand opening block party featuring food and drink samples from Noir, Chhaya, Toast, SliCE, Bitar's, Smokin' Betty's, Devil's Alley, Serrano, Francoluigis, and Art of Bread by Georges Perrier. Ms Goody Cupcake will preview her new truck and give away dessert samples. Prism Beer will pour Summer of 69 and Naked Blonde. Uber, Headhunters Hair Design, Eviama Life Spa, Fly School Circus Arts, Cloth, Sealed with a Kiss, City of Hope and others will provide raffle prizes and free swag bags for the first 200 people. Entertainment includes a DJ, circus performance and a preview by Brat Productions of their new show The Last Plot in Revenge. Free, 21 and older, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
* Cloth (1605 EPA) -- Cloth ( 1605 EPA) -- Come meet our new 'bundle of joy' during the grand opening 'baby shower' for Cloth. Complimentary croissants, pastries, coffee, tea, organic juice boxes and kid's snacks will be provided. Enjoy our "baby shower" cake donated from Ms Goody Cupcake. The new play corner will be open and fully stocked with toys and books. Enter to win great prizes, including a raffle basket of summer baby necessities. Free swag bags full of prizes and coupons for the first 50 shoppers. Free, 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
* Chhaya Cafe (1823 EPA) -- Art reception with works from Priscilla Hopkins, featuring acrylic paint on paper and enjoys layering transparent and opaque forms to create compositions inspired by the natural world. Complimentary snacks. Free, starts 6:00 PM
* Frame Fatale (1813 EPA) -- Frame Fatale (1813 EPA) – Opening reception for “Box Score: Mixed Media Collages” by Randel Plowman. Limited edition archival prints from “Box Score: An Autobiography,” an epic baseball poem (and free, interactive ipad app!) by local poet Kevin Varrone, are on view through July 30. Formatted as literary baseball cards, “Box Score” is for anyone who loves baseball, poetry, art, and history. Join us for light ball park fare: popcorn & pretzels, beer & lemonade! Free, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
* Fringe (1728 EPA) – Reception for Bird in the Hand ink paintings by Lucinda Morreale, with music by Murmuration. Free, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
* Headhunters Hair Design (1718 EPA) - FREE mini-makers for new clients, jewelry summer sale, spray tan discounts, hair chalking, snacks. Opens at 10:00 AM
* HOME A furnishings boutique (1815 EPA) - Reception featuring artwork from an artist that graduated from the University of the Arts - Emily Stabile. She'll be presenting some wood cut prints and paintings on wood. Free refreshments, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Men's Clothing (1615 EPA) - 15% off entire store to get styling for summer,
complimentary champagne and champagne spritzers. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM
* Ms Goody Cupcake (1838 EPA) - Last call for Fegley's Blueberry Belch and Young's Double Chocolate Stout cupcakes for Philly Beer Week + Drunkin' Elvis (which lasts through June). Cupcake Shakes are back for summer. Enjoy free samples and fifty cents off each shake (any flavor cupcake!). 9am - 4pm (or sell out)
Things.. Handmade (1731 EPA) - Art opening and reception with paintings by
Courtney Brown, free refreshments, more details coming. Free, 6:00 PM to 10:00
* Nicole Rae Styer Boutique (1822 EPA) - Huge summer sale.........all summer dresses,tanks and shorts 20% off! Wine and sweets from Belle Cakery. Free, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
* Occasionette (1825 EPA) - The Second Saturday Pop-Up Shop at featuring Brainstorm Print and Design with beer, donuts and awesome hand screenprinted art prints. Free, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
* Pollyodd (1908 EPA) - Free tasting with newest cello. Come out and try some Mango just in time for summer. Free, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Sunday, June 9, 2013
Lucky 13 Pub and Sweet Jane Vintage present South Philly Fest from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM with an outdoor concert featuring seven live bands, drink specials, food, vendors and shopping. Line up is listed below. Festivities will take place outside on the street in front of Lucky 13 Pub, at 13th and East Passyunk Avenue. Inside Lucky 13, DJ Sunny Girl Williamson will be spinning records and keeping things cool. Concert is free. Drinks and food are pay-as-you-go.
Concert performances and times:
Company Corvette (1:00 PM)
Needle Points (2:00 PM)
Robes of Alchemy (3:00 PM)
The Whips (4:00 PM)
Gondola (5:00 PM)
Bad Panda Jewelry
Little Baby’s Ice Cream
Kung Fu Hoagies
Make Love Not War
Medium Bob’s Curiosity Shop
She All Talk
Sweet Jane Vintage
Posted in Aversa PR & Events, Business Improvement District, Chhaya Cafe, East Passyunk Avenue, Events, Food & Drink, Hair & Shaving, Headhunters Hair Design, LGBT, Media Clips, Ms Goody Cupcake, Philadelphia, Philly Loves Fun, Public Relations, Random Fun, Retail, Salon and Hair, Shopping, Tourism | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
| | | | | | |
Jay Michael Salon and Spa (at The Phoenix, 1600 Arch Street) is helping men lose the fur before beach season as they present Manscape Mania and the search for “Furriest Philadelphian.” On Sunday, May 19, 2013, from 10:00am to 4:00pm, all Jay Michael stylists and employees will volunteer their time and donate 100% of proceeds from men’s salon packages to City of Hope to help them in the fight against prostate cancer. All participants and their guests will enjoy specially priced salon packages, beer tastings, complimentary nibbles, free gifts and a chance to win a $1,000 prize getaway package. In advance of the event, one winner will be named “Furriest Philadelphian,” entitling them to a year of free services and products. An additional winner at the event will be named “Most Dramatic Makeover.” For information, click here or call 267-514-8000.
Manscape Mania is the perfect opportunity for men spruce up and look sharp for summer. Significant others are invited to come and watch as men lose the fur with one-time exclusive packages:
* The Scapegoat - Manly manicure, Pedicure, Chest and Back Wax ($100.00)
* The Cityscape - Manly manicure, eyebrow wax, fifteen minute chair massage, cut and style ($100.00)
* The Beachscape - Thirty minute relaxation massage, thirty minute facial or bacial, manly manicure, cut and style ($200.00)
* The Sexyscape - Back or chest wax, thirty minute facial or bacial, manly manicure, cut and style and hint of color treatment ($200.00)
A la carte services are also available for cut and style, manly mani and waxing services at a discounted price (one-day only). All pricing is available for one-day only, with appointments available on a first-come, first-served basis. Special pricing can’t be combined with other discounts. One hundred percent of proceeds will go to City of Hope as staff are generously donating their wages from the day to pay it forward or “Live a Beautiful Life” (the company’s tagline/mission statement.)
During the event, participants will also enjoy complimentary nibbles and beer samples from Tirnanog, as well as a free Matrix boxed gift set (valued at $40) and a free ride gift card from Uber (valued up to $20). All participants will also be entered to win a grand prize package for two inclusive of items such as a Tiffany necklace and an Atlantic City Weekend Hotel Package!
In advance of Manscape Mania, City of Hope and Jay Michael is looking to crown one lucky male “Furriest Philadelphian.” The winner will receive a makeover during Manscape Mania, plus a year of free styling products (approximate value $400) and a year of complementary haircuts (approximate value $2,000). Interested applicants can apply by sending a current photo (headshot and full body) to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 12, 2013. Friends and family can also nominate a winner. Entries must include name, age and email address. Must be 21 and older to participate. Certain restrictions apply.
“It’s a humorous way to show our salon’s not-so-serious side,” explained Manager, Sylwia Cunningham. “We are a five-star salon and spa but we also like to have fun and also help those in need. City of Hope is a very worthy charity and we’re happy to help find—and make over— this furry man! I guess you could say we’re letting our hair down for a day!”
At the event, one lucky winner will also be named “Most Dramatic Makeover.” Before and after shots will be judged at the end of the day by Josh Hafetz, President of Raylon Corporation, a wholesale beauty distributor.
“We love working with Jay Michael Salon and Spa, “ said Harry Giordano, Senior Director of Development for City of Hope’s Northeast Region. “They have been long-time supporters of our cause I am looking forward to seeing the before and after of the Furriest Philadelphian – it’s a fun event for everyone and a day that going to be really great!”
For more information visit www.facebook.com/ ManscapeMania. Appointments are now being accepted by calling 267-514-8000 or visiting jaymichael.com. Entries for Furriest Philadelphian are also now being taken via email to email@example.com.
About Jay Michael Salon and Spa
Jay Michael Salon and Spa has been providing exceptional salon experiences since 1985. For decades, Philadelphia’s elite have flocked to Jay’s gorgeously appointed salons. Jay has partnered with Sarah Keating, owner of the former Phoenix Salon and Spa, and now has two warm and welcoming beauty establishments, one at Center City’s The Phoenix, the other at The Radnor Hotel. Jay Michael employs only the most seasoned, sensational staff members, extending incredible services to his clients. From coloring and cutting to breathtaking up dos, from indulgent massages and facials to waxing, make-up applications and manicures, Jay Michael Salon and Spa does it all. Each salon visit is guaranteed to exceed your most discriminating expectations, all the while making you look and feel fabulous. Visit jaymichael.com for more info.
About City of Hope
City of Hope is recognized worldwide for its compassionate patient care, innovative science and translational research, which rapidly turns laboratory breakthroughs into promising new therapies. For 100 years, City of Hope’s pioneering research has brought the world closer to cures for many life-threatening diseases, from cancer to diabetes. Compassion drives our innovation. Every discovery we make and new treatment we develop gives patients the chance to live longer, better and more fully. As an independent medical and research institution, we can break through the barriers that traditionally stand between scientists and physicians, accelerating the application of laboratory findings to more effective treatments. We work with urgency because time matters. Patients with cancer need better options today, not next week or next year. For many people, City of Hope is where hope begins. Visit cityofhope.org for more information.
Eviama Life Spa & Boutique is now open and accepting appointments at 109 S. 13th Street, Philadelphia, in the heart of Midtown Village. The public is invited to experience the region’s first green designed and operated spa that has been named “Best of” by Philadelphia Magazine, Philadelphia Style Magazine, Lucky Magazine and Citysearch. On Friday, May 3, 2013, from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM, Eviama will host a grand opening celebration featuring complimentary mini-spa services (first come, first served), light refreshments, door prizes, guided tours, intimate music, boutique discounts and $20 off any service booked during the event. The event is presented with support from Midtown Village Merchant’s Association, Grid Magazine, Sustainable Business Network, Green Philly Blog, Dr.Hauschka and Aversa PR & Events LLC. RSVP is requested by calling (215) 545-3344.
Eviama’s new home, leased from Goldman Properties, was created with eco-friendly construction materials, uses 100% sustainable energy, and features abundant natural light. High ceilings, oversized windows, ample skylights, exposed brick, bamboo floors and reclaimed lumber provide the perfect backdrop for Owner Penny Ordway and her staff to soothe, heal and beautify the mind and body. Design elements blend the feel of a modern loft with an Asian influenced sanctuary.
Inside this 2,000 square-foot urban oasis, clients are transformed through award-winning massage, organic facials, skincare treatments, body wraps, waxing, energy work, Reiki guided meditation, vibrational therapies, spiritual healing, meditation classes and more. Ordway and her team specialize in 17 varieties of massage that range from classic treatments to Eastern traditions, including Prenatal, Houdini JINI, Hot Stone Surrender, Aromotherapy Effleurage, Four Hand Massage, Lymph Drainage, Thai Yoga Mantra, Ashiatsu, Zen Shiatsu, Rain Drop Therapy and Foot Reflexology. Eviama also boasts 12 types of organic facials using Dr. Haushka’s exclusive line of skincare products.
“Our goal is to offer balm and beauty for the mind and spirit,” said Ordway. “To accomplish this, we use superior organic or biodynamic products and creative methods, serving you in a space designed with environmental integrity.”
The vast array of client services, many of which are only offered in Philadelphia by Eviama, take place in one of six treatment cabins that differ in décor and amenities. Each cabin features artwork and other decorative elements that will change seasonally. Cabin highlights are below:
The new space also boasts an expanded boutique, new sauna, ornate building features, striking new meditation library and unique green elements, as highlighted below:
Future enhancements to the new space will include the installation of a custom-designed greenscaping that is being funded by a sustainable business grant from The Merchant’s Fund. The grant also will provide resources for a new table and equipment, as well as a rebranding campaign.
Eviama is owned and operated by Penny Ordway, a pioneer in Philadelphia’s eco and sustainability movements. Eviama’s whole picture approach results in intuitive services that meet clients’ physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Outside of client treatments, Eviama also hosts weekly and monthly classes, spa parties, semi private yoga classes and community gatherings. Gift certificates are available for any service and make great gifts for any occasion. Eviama is open seven days a week, with day and evening appointments convenient for everyone. Services can be booked online at www.eviama.com or by calling (215) 545-3344. Please join Eviama on Facebook (Eviama Life Spa) and Twitter (@eviamalifespa).
Eviama is a member of the Sustainable Business Network and the Midtown Village Merchant’s Association. National and local accolades include “Best Places for All-Natural Spa Services” by Lucky Magazine, “Best of Philly” for no-frills and pre-natal massage by Philadelphia Magazine, “Best Facials, Hair Removal and Massage” by Citysearch, “Best Spa” by Philadelphia Happening List, “Top Spa Package” by Day Spa Magazine and “7 Wonders of the Spa World” by Philadelphia Style Magazine.
National authority on masculinity names 2B Groomed a standout ‘manly’ barbershop with superior quality, worldly polish and a throwback atmosphere.
2B Groomed offers an unparalleled experience worthy of the man’s man in all of us. We knew it, you knew it, and now the nation knows it. Rachel Cericola of Men’s Health Magazine lists 2BGroomed among 20 of America’s premier men’s barbering studios in cities from New York City to Chicago to Beverly Hills.
“A great haircut is key to any man's carefully crafted style—but finding the right chop shop isn't just about striped poles and antiseptic combs,” said Cericola. “This place caters to world travelers—so it makes sense that the shop would go international for a little inspiration.”
With techniques imported from Morocco and Turkey, trained barbers blend cosmopolitan flair, classic skills and modern styles to deliver a unique and stimulating experience. Their follicular know-how, deft razoring skills and attention to detail keep you looking sharp, polished and ready to take on the world.
Proprietor Jahmal Rhaney identified his motivation for 2B Groomed as the ‘40s, when “service was held to a higher standard.” From retro digs to complimentary shoe shines, 2B Groomed delivers a first-rate experience by modernizing the art of grooming.
Whether you have been to 2B Groomed recently or long ago, we invite you back for a visit this month. We have a chair waiting – and the jazz music is already keyed up.
About 2B Groomed
Since opening in 2003, 2B Groomed has been the go-to spot for refined, high-quality grooming in Center City. Jahmal Rhaney, a native of Germantown and a graduate of the Joseph Donahue International School of Hairstyling and the Tri-City Barber School, brings more than 20 years of experience to the barbering chair. He opened his shop intent on reviving the luxury, service and feel of the classic bespoke barbershop. He’s aided by a staff of internationally trained barbers who each bring the tonsorial traditions of their native cultures.