Mayor Michael Nutter and other dignitaries will join City Year Greater Philadelphia (CYGP) for Opening Day Ceremonies, on Friday, September 14, 2012 (tomorrow) at 9:00 AM at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel, Millennium Hall, 1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, as they kick off a year of service in Philadelphia’s public and charter schools. City Year, an education-focused, nonprofit that unites diverse teams of young people for a year of full-time service in the nation’s highest-need schools, will serve in 20 schools this year. Comcast NBCUniversal sponsors Opening Day at all 24 City Year locations. City Year Greater Philadelphia Opening Day is also supported by local sponsor Comcast NBC10 and ARAMARK.
City Year partners with schools and teachers to place trained young adults in schools where they are needed most to provide individual support to students who need extra care and attention. Working side-by-side with teachers, our Corps Members use research-based tools and techniques to help students who are struggling—so more kids stay in school and on track to graduation. For more information about City Year please visit www.cityyear.org
CYGP will kick off a year of service in 20 schools with Opening Day Ceremonies
Friday, September 14, 2012 at 9:00am (Doors open 8:40am)
Loews Philadelphia Hotel, Millennium Hall, 1200 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- MAYOR MICHAEL NUTTER, Mayor of Philadelphia and CYGP Board Member
- ARTHUR BLOCK, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of the Comcast Corporation and CYGP Board Co-Chair
- BILL COPELAND, Vice Chairman of Deloitte and CYGP Board Member
- CHARISSE LILLIE, Vice President of Community Investment for Comcast Corporation and President of the Comcast Foundation
- Dr. CASSANDRA RUFFIN, Deputy Chief for College and Career Readiness and Counseling for School District of Philadelphia
255 uniformed CYGP corps members will attend and collectively take the City Year Pledge. Uniforms consist of red City Year jackets, khaki pants and Timberland boots.